Who Are We?
How to Join
TFGON Medal of Honor Recipients
TFGON Job Opportunities & Resume Circulation
Programs, Projects, & Activities Report
Supreme Court Amicus Briefs Submitted by TFGON
Corporate/Organization Liaison Representatives List
Military/Veterans Association Liaison Representatives List
Military Officer Retirement Communities
UCMJ Authority over Military Retirees
TFGON Members Directory
Flag & General Officers Biographies
Flag/General Officers Selection/Promotion/Orders Lists
U.S. Congress Biography
Guide: 1774 - Present
U.S. Congress Members Who Are Military Vets
VA Cemeteries Pre-Need Eligibility Procedures
Programs, Projects, & Special Activities
Rear Admiral Chuck McGrail Scholarship Program
Retired Flag & General Officers Airport Security
Newsletters & eNewsletters
Bequests To TFGON
FLAG & GENERAL OFFICERS: TFGON Matters, Issues, & Events Newsletter: 2 May 2012
Fellow Flag & General Officers:
After an exceptionally successful Quarterly Networking Reception in Washington, DC last Friday, our inbox is once again full of action items that we need to share with you. There are probably too many to put them all in this issue of the newsletter, so plan on receiving another in a few days. With that, details follow:
1. TFGON Begins Social Media Use Via Linked-In
2. Board of Directors Opportunities & Service for Retired Flag & General Officers
3. Truly Outstanding Quarterly Networking Reception last Friday
1. TFGON Begins Social Media Use Via Linked-In:
In furtherance of our efforts to continue to build our network and communicate with each other, we have a new mechanism to exchange information and to "link" us. For those of you on Linked-In we have established an invitation-only Group, and TFGON Member Maj Gen Dave Senty, USAF (ret) has agreed to manage the launch of this platform for TFGON. Initially the Group will be used to relay messages and to host the listing of job vacancies that our members would like to post. To be invited to join the LinkedIn TFGON group, please send Dave your LinkedIn email address - and he'll push the link to you. You can reach Dave at firstname.lastname@example.org
to send this information or with any questions. Special thanks to General Senty for taking on this digital effort for all of us in TFGON!!
2. Board of Directors Opportunities & Board Service for Retired Flag & General Officers:
Many TFGON Members regularly approach us asking about opportunities to serve on Boards of Directors and how does a retired flag/general officer get plugged into those opportunities. In this regard, we strongly supported a project of the National Association of Corporate Directors [NACD] and a program they sponsored and conducted in March called "From Battlefield to Boardroom", meant specifically to provide retired admirals and generals the systemics as to how board participation works and how best to position themselves "to be considered for such service". We've had GREAT feedback from the TFGON Members that attended that program and we are committed to support this program when it is presented again. That said, the bottom line is that not all corporations or organizations seek retired flag/general officer representation on their boards, so these opportunities are not as many as we would like. But in our opinion, the "From Battlefield to Boardroom" Program is the best way to get totally briefed up on how best to position yourself for board service, and TFGON will make sure you are notified when the next "Battlefield to Boardroom" program is scheduled. TFGON is also fortunate that the son of one of our TFGON members, former naval officer Ted Dysart, is an official in the executive search industry at one of the very best firms in that business, Heidrick & Struggles, and they put out an excellent quarterly newsletter regarding board service that you can link into and subscribe to at the following URL: http://www.directorship.com/boardconnection/spring2012/
This newsletter also has a link to the NACD Newsletter which is also loaded with excellent information on board service and issues related with that service. NACD Membership and/or their magazine is a bit pricey, and in our opinion you can get the information you need through the Heidrick & Struggles newsletter and their link to the NACD newsletter, which also provides access to the NACD article archives and back issues of the newsletter. Also, feel free to contact Ted Dysart with your questions re: flag/g.o. board service, but be aware the last time we published this, Ted was inundated with messages and questions, so it can take a fair amount of time for him to get back to you. Ted's e-mail address is email@example.com
---- be sure to tell him that TFGON sent you!!!
3. Truly Outstanding Quarterly Networking Reception last Friday: Best said, we're not sure how this event could have gone any better. There was an electricity in the room and an incredibly strong atmosphere of friendship and comradery and a strong sense of fellowship among fellow warriors. As we went "Round the Room" to have each say a bit about themselves and their background, it became obvious that we had a room full of incredible talent and experience and credentials and expertise among the 42 admirals and generals in that room that night. Several related as to how it was TFGON that led them to their current job and there was universal praise as to how TFGON was truly serving our membership. We have zero doubt that our CoFounder, Rear Admiral [Ret.] Chuck McGrail, is beaming with pride and fulfillment at what he helped to start. And none of this could happen without the good work and strong support of our current TFGON Board of Directors and Elected and Appointed Officers. So "good on all of us"---- the purpose for which TFGON was formed 17 years ago is holding true today and we ARE living up to our Motto of "Warriors Helping Warriors". Do a fellow flag officer or a newly selected general officer a favor---- send them an e-mail recommending that they join us in TFGON and include the website URL that tells them who we are and what we are all about and how to join. They will thank you for it.
That should do it for this issue of the newsletter. Feel free to forward this to any other Flag & General Officers that you know. While we have over half of all the living flag/general officers as TFGON members, our long term goal is to have them all and to reach that goal, it's up to each of us to spread the word.
As always, if you have any questions, just hit reply and ask.
With all good wishes,
Rear Admiral [Ret.]
ARMY Board Member &
ARMY Vice Chairman
Board Member: NAVY
Brigadier General [Ret.]
Board Member: USAF
Board Member: USCG
Board Member At Large